Monday, October 1, 2012

PowerPoint (Terrific)

On Tuesday September 19th I was assigned to create a Narrative. The point of this Narrative was to introduce what creating a lesson plan would be like. It also allowed me to get used to using the Pennsylvania Department of Education website. This website holds all of the teaching standards for every grade level in the state of Pennsylvania. www.pdesas.org is an important website for teachers in Pennsylvania because it allows teachers to create a lesson plan that is appropriate for both the age and development of their students. My Narrative

Along with the Narrative, I was assigned to create a PowerPoint that would assist with teaching the lesson I created. My lesson plan was for  first-grade students, and they were to write three sentences about a topic that they chose. In order to generate a PowerPoint that not only assisted with the understanding of the lesson, but also allowed the students to learn from interaction with the project, I incorporated a series of links that each student was to fallow. Each link lead to the next set of directions for the short project that they were to finish. In the PowerPoint there was a choice of three different writing prompts and each child was to choose one prompt and write three sentences about it.  When they chose a topic that was interesting to them, the next slide showed some ideas of what they could say. When they were finished with the set of directions from that slide each student was able to move forward for the next set of directions or backwards to read over the topics again. 

Below is an example of the PowerPoint I created. The pencils allowed the student to move to the next slide, the arrows allowed the student to go back one slide, And the links in blue allowed the student to move to the slide that corresponds to the chosen topic. My Power Point 

Having an interactive PowerPoint such as the one that I created, is a great way for students to learn actively and at their own pace. I greatly enjoyed doing this project because it opened my eyes to the available possibilities of active learning when introducing a PowerPoint to the classroom.  Before this project, all I knew about power points was that one can write down bullet points of an idea when presenting a project. Now, I know that one can create links to other slides, or outside sources, and add pictures with animations to make it more interesting and create an interactive lesson around it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment